Friday, May 15, 2009

So much to do, so little time

I thought I would post one last blog before I leave for Seattle. I have about an hour and 45 minutes until Britt (one of my bestest friends) gets here. I still have to clean out my car, make myself b-e-a-utiful, and pick up the house a little (as there will be a bunch of guys hanging out while I am out of town.



For breakfast, I wasn't really in the mood for oatmeal or cereal, so I made myself an egg white and bacon omelet. I only had one strip of bacon and I drained all of the fat. I think I was in need of some comfort food this morning. My mom used to make scrambled eggs and bacon for me when I was little. I had it with a little salsa and two corn tortillas.
I also had a big cup of coffee with three packets of Truvia and a 1/4 cup of vanilla soy milk. I drank it while I played Mario Kart Wii. I am getting good.


To save some cash in Seattle this weekend, I decided to cook me and my friends dinner for our first night in Seattle. We're staying at an Embassy Suites, so we'll have a microwave and fridge. After I cooked our dinner and packed it. I made myself a chocolate banana smoothie.

It was fantabulous. Though, it was sugar free and I am not supposed to have aspartame, 'cause I have a little bit of an intolerance to sugar substitutes. Oh well.
Then I decided to sample tonight's dinner. Well, part of it anyway. I made...I'll just call it, Zuppa Italia. I got the recipe from an acquaintance who has a friend who used to work at a really large, well known Italian chain. OMGoodness I could just die. The soup is not very healthy, but mmmm. I had a little more than 1/2 a cup to sample it.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 1lb ground Italian sausage
  • 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 lg white diced onion
  • 4TBS bacon pieces
  • 2tsp garlic puree
  • 10 cups water
  • 5 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1lb potatoes or about 3 large ones
  • 1/4 bunch of kale

Saute Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a pot. Drain fat and then set sausage aside.

In the same pot, saute bacon pieces, onions and garlic, until onions are soft/or about 15minutes.

Mix together chicken bouillon cubes and the 10 cups water. Then add the chicken broth water to the onions, bacon and garlic. (Or add the water to the bacon, onion and garlic and then add the bouillon so it dissolves).

Cook until boiling. Add the chopped potatoes and cook until soft, about a half hour.

Add heavy cream and cook until well heated.

Stir in sausage.

Add chopped kale just before serving.

I cut the recipe in half and I used 3 cloves of chopped garlic rather than the puree. Turned out great. This is my most favorite soup ever! I am so lucky to have the recipe, or a version of it anyway. It tastes just like the stuff from the restaurant.

Along with the soup I will be serving a spring mix salad with pecans, craisins, sunflower seeds, feta cheese, and Italian dressing. We'll also be having rosemary bread and perhaps a cup of wine.

Delicious!

Well, I shall return on Sunday and blog all about my trip. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment