Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm better than that!

Yesterday I was listening to the Flylady network on Blog Talk radio and Johnathan (No Excuse Workout) was coaching a girl to say "I'm better than that" whenever she was tempted to gorge herself on foods she shouldn't have. So today, I tried to put that into practice along with my "Proportion" eating plan (see yesterday's post). Oh, and after talking with my husband, I have decided to allow myself five servings of protein, if I feel I need it.

For breakfast I tried something new with the pineapple/mango jam that I made. I had my regular old oatmeal with raisins and a Tbsp of almond butter, a serving of raisins, and 1/2 a cup of vanilla soy milk, but I also added (in place of sugar) two Tbsp of my jam. It was actually really good, and it held me over until lunch. At work, I also had two cups of coffee with three packs (total, not each cup) of Truvia and about 1/4 of soy milk (lol I just typed soy sauce, that would be gross).


My husband, bless his heart went to the grocery store today and bought bananas, oranges and veggie burgers for me. I was out of fruit and it turns out I have been eating too many nuts for my protein. They're so high in fat that they make my gallbladder angry if I eat too many. So my hubby, bought me veggie burgers so I would have some protein for lunch. I had a vegan Boca Burger on two slices of homemade whole wheat bread, one serving of cheddar cheese and some bbq sauce. I also had one pickle.

I was still a little hungry after lunch, so I had really big, juicy orange for a snack.

I didn't make it to dinner on just that. I was still really hungry at about 2 p.m. so I had a half of a slice of pizza that I found in the fridge at work and a handful of sliced pickles. I really really wanted that other half of the pizza, but I told myself "You're better than that!"

For dinner, I had stir fry with rice noodles. In my stir fry I put celery, onions, peas, carrots, green beans, 1/4 of a chicken breast (the husband had the rest), and a hard boiled egg. I tossed it all in about a Tbsp of homemade teriyaki sauce and topped it off with a Tbsp of sweet chile sauce. I also had a large cup of milk about 1 3/4. It was delicious! I really like bold flavors all mixed together. Even though the culinary world probably frowns on it. I don't care. It tastes good to me!

To make homemade Teriyaki sauce combine one part soy sauce, two parts brown sugar, two to three parts water and garlic powder to taste. Thicken with corn starch and water. I used 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, and 3 Tbsp water. I omitted the garlic powder, 'cause for whatever reason it makes my gallbladder grumpy. :( I can however eat a little bit of fresh garlic, or freshly cooked garlic. :)

I just got back from youth group (I am a youth leader), and there are always tempting treats taunting me there. I allowed myself two gummy worms, and a small bite of a brownie. Taste everything eat nothing! Easier said than done. I think I drank about 7 cups of water trying to distract myself from the goodies.

Recap of my portion control:
  • Grains: 4 & 1/2 (I should have passed on the half slice of pizza)
  • Proteins: 3 & 1/4
  • Dairy: 2 & 3/4 servings (unless you count the soy milk, but I am counting that more as veggies, or maybe protein, I don't know)
  • Fruit: 4 (orange counts as two and I am going to eat a banana now)
  • Veggies: 3 to 4 (I didn't keep track of all that was in my stir fry)
  • Sweets: Two gummy worms and a small bite of brownie (I mean small like, maybe two tsp worth). I limited this because I had the pizza.

For exercise today, I only got in 15 minutes walking part at a 10 percent incline and the rest at a 5 minute incline. I would have liked to get in more, but slept in a little again today. But I did get up an hour earlier than yesterday. Tomorrow is day two of week two of my couch to 5K training.

P.S. I've been using my cell phone to take pictures of my food as carrying around a big Nikon D40 is a little psycho looking. I realized at dinner time that my lens on my phone had a huge smudge on it. The dinner picture is much more clear than the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment