Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Girlfriend Getaway to Seattle

So I had an absolutely fantabulous time with my girls. Brittany my chica from south of me arrived at my house about 2:30 p.m. on Friday, and we finally left at 3 p.m. We then swung by Portland to pick up my Michelle. We got stuck in traffic for awhile. We stopped in Woodland for a potty stop and a Starbucks. I didn't have coffee, but I bought a Nuts & Fruit bag and split it with Brittany.


We arrived to the Tacoma area about 7:30 p.m. and got stuck in traffic yet again (see photo below). But we rocked out to some KT Tunstall with the windows down (it was so hot and gorgeous out...Welcome Summer!). Oh and that is Brit in the passenger seat.


When we finally made it to the Embassy Suites at 9 p.m., we were starving. I had prepared a "culinary surprise" for my girls. Dinner included the Italian soup I made earlier that day (see two posts ago), a salad with spring mix, craisins, feta, and pecans, rosemary bread and a glass or two of wine.


Brittany made cupcakes for my belated 25th birthday. They were ultra low in calories and pretty scrumptious. :)

Michelle will kill me for this picture, but I couldn't resist getting a snap shot of her stuffing her face with the cupcake. LOL.

After dinner we went into the pool. It was supposed to be adult swim from 10-midnight, but there were still a bunch of kids in the pool. We were really enjoying the cool water until we noticed something chunky floating around... ewww. So we crashed the hot tub for a while. A nice relaxing end to a long day.
The second day, we made our way to Pikes Market...you know the world famous one, where they throw the fish! There is so much more to that market than the flying fish.
We browsed the flowers...


...and the fresh/organic produce (Below: Brit bought a huge tomato for her hubby and Michelle bought an apple for a snack!)...


...We sampled gourmet jellys, organic chocolates, AND best of all...we sampled a boat load of cheese!!! There was a cheese tasting festival going on and Michelle and I pushed our way through the crowds to sample all sorts of scrumptious goodies. Did you know cheese is my favorite food? Well it is. I sampled spreads, and sheep's cheese and different cheese combinations. It was wonderful. :) Oh and the photos with the date are from Brit's camera and are obviously wrong. hehehe. (Below: Me looking like a stoner as I taste some oils)

(Below: Spices.) We stopped to peer through the window of the original Starbucks, but it was too crowded to enter. It pretty much looked like a Starbucks.

On the search for real coffee...



We all really wanted to expand our coffee drinking pleasures outside of the boundaries of Starbucks and find something the locals love. So that's what we did, we talked to the locals and a lady recommended "The Crumpet Shoppe." She was right, they had excellent, organic coffee. It hit the spot!


Oh and I can't forget to mention that the three of us split a Curry Beef Hom Bow (a sweet and savory bun filled with meat) from Mee Sue's at Pikes. I had heard local reviews of the Hom Bows and I just had to try one. The bun was sweet on the outside and the beef on the inside was nice and salty with a strong flavor of curry. I really enjoyed the complementing bold flavors. (Half a Hom Bow below)

Following our little escapade to Pikes, we went to Gig Harbor for a beautiful wedding of a friend I went to college with. She was a beautiful bride, and the ceremony was so touching. We didn't stay for the reception (as I brought two friends who didn't know her and I didn't want to eat all her reception food). By the time we got back into Seattle, our tummies were ready to eat again.
We made our way to Wann Japanese Izakaya a restaurant that has created a fusion of Japanese and American food. We stuck with the sushi.

I have never enjoyed sushi so much as I did at Wann. Usually the sushi I have is really fishy. Michelle thinks I have always eaten bad sushi. So, to be safe I ordered the avocado and cucumber sushi. Michelle got the spicy tuna and Brit was safe with the California rolls. We each tried one of each others'. I enjoyed them all. The tuna was flash fried, really spicy and Delicious. Of course, you can never go wrong with the California rolls. I highly recommend this restaurant. Not only was the food amazing, but the prices were really reasonable.

I also had the rice and soup combo. My whole meal, including the sushi only came to $9.50, of course I only had ice water 'cause I was so hot and thirsty.


This is me after a satisfying meal!

We went back to the hotel for a while so I could exercise and so we could freshen up for our karaoke experience! (Below: Me and Michelle on the way to Rickshaw)

We went to The Rickshaw which has been named the best karaoke bar in Seattle by Seattle Times. It's a Chinese food restaurant that serves regular old Americanized Chinese food. The reviews all said great karaoke, mediocre food. Well we didn't eat dinner (since we had already had some) but we did order a pot sticker appetizer. They were the biggest, fluffiest, yummiest pot stickers I have ever put my mouth around. I can at least recommend the pot stickers.


As for the karaoke...I had such a blast. Michelle is our karaoke queen and has been urging us to go with her for quiet some time. However, being the chicken that I am (though I lead worship for my youth group) I wouldn't do it. Finally, since I made it one of my goals. I did it!


First the three of us sang a Destiny's Child song from high school. We all forgot how fast and how long that song was. It was awful, but the crowed was gracious and laughed with us. Then we had to redeem ourselves, we sang "I Will Survive." All I can say is: awesome! The crowed danced with us and sang with us, and one older gentlemen told us we all sounded great together and that we should start a group! LOL.


Later Michelle and I sang "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall. We did a duet and split the verses. It was soooooo sooooo sooooo scary. But I did it! Michelle also sang a bunch of solos. I really really enjoyed myself. :)

We took pictures of us actually singing, but they must not have turned out.


On our final day in Seattle, the three of us went to the SAM (Seattle Art Museum). We were all still pretty tired by then, but we had a great time. I really enjoyed browsing through the historical and cultural art. I took a bunch of art history classes in college, so the historical stuff was really fascinating to me. (Below is Brit waiting for the doors of SAM to open)


After the SAM we got lunch at Pikes. Brit and I had a teriyaki plate and Michelle had a peroshki from Peroshki Peroshki. In a way the peroshki was kind of like the Hom Bow, only it was topped with cheese and filled with beef and onions. I guess there are a variety of peroshkis including desert peroshkis, and from the bite I had I can recommend them. I know Michelle does.


Another awesome Girlfriend Mini Vacation! I am sad it's over, but guess what I get to go to Seattle again in two days. This time with the hubby. He's a baseball fan, so we'll watch some Mariners games, maybe hit Pikes again, and just relax. I'll document some more food finds and adventures from Seattle.

P.S. I'll be posting something tomorrow (probably not a food diary), and then I probably won't be able to post again until Sunday night or Monday. After that I will start the food diary back up.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment