Monday, May 25, 2009

It's time to do the Detox Disco

I slept until 9:40 a.m. this morning. I haven't slept that long for quite sometime. After arriving back home after 4 hours of drive time, Josh and I had two hours to get ready for an overnight youth event. I was pretty tired, but I shouldn't have slept that long.

I am going to take a break from my food diary today and write about my plan to detox myself. Detox sounds like such a dirty five letter word. Doesn't it? I've always been quite turned off of them. I didn't like the idea of paying to take a hundred different supplements or mixing up strange concoctions like beet, olive oil and lemon juice for example (which I've tried by the way...sick!).

I thought detoxing was used as an excuse for people to starve themselves or lose five pounds fast. I thought all of this until I watched Veria, a naturopathic TV station that I tuned into while in Seattle. Here is what I found...

The Easy 3 Day Cleanse (Detox) from "What a Relief" on Veria TV:

  • Drink hot lemon water every morning.
  • Eat Natural, non-processed foods.
  • Day 1: Drop all fats and cut down to ½ the amount of protein (no sugar)
  • Day 2: Drop all protein and carbohydrates. Unlimited fruit and vegetables
  • Day 3: Drop starchy fruits and veggies (bananas, corn, potatoes, yams, carrots, peas,) Eat a lot of greens steamed or raw. Unlimited water…use lemon water
  • Day 4: Add in for breakfast one serving amaranth or gluten free granola (no soy or dairy, maybe use almond milk)
  • Day 5: Add one new food at a time (per meal) including carbohydrates
  • Day 6: Add proteins last lentils, nuts, oils slowly and chew thoroughly to avoid indigestion.
  • Slowly add one type of protein per day and add other foods back in.
  • Continue to avoid processed foods or those with unnatural preservatives

Please keep in mind that these are my notes from watching a TV show. The reason this is a 3 day cleanse and yet has 6 days, is because the host of the show said it is better to slowly ease in and slowly ease out. Otherwise your body and your brain (due to sugar and carb addiction) will go into shock. I am guessing the cleanse part is day 2,3 and 4.

I am going to give this a try. I've been searching for some recipes and meal ideas. I've even been looking at some raw foods recipes. They're not as scary as I thought. I also found a recipe for a natural detoxing bath and a detoxing body scrub.

The reason for my sudden enthusiasm in this detox is due to my gallbladder pain. I've mentioned it before in previous posts. I have had a flare up for the last three weeks. In my past research, I've came across two pretty conflicting gallbladder diets. One, American medicine. The other, natural medicine. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. It hurts so bad.

I have a nuclear medicine scan scheduled for this coming Friday. When I had my ultra sound, the results showed no stones, and no blockage. I suspect I may just have a low functioning gallbladder. If this is true, I WILL NOT HAVE IT REMOVED! I'll give up meat, dairy and anything else, but they're not taking it out. The gallbladder is too important and it does have a very important function. Your gallbladder is what helps you digest all of the fats.

I will do this detox (which is basically an elimination diet) and I'll see how I feel. It's time to do the detox disco. Anyone with me?

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment