Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Adventures in Detox: Day 2

Day 2: Drop all protein and carbohydrates (grains). Unlimited fruits and Veggies.

First off, I am surprised I have made it to the end of day two. Weird. I didn't take pictures of everything I've eaten today (just dinner and desert). But here is a recap of everything I ate up to dinner: I ate the rest of my fruit salad, raw carrots and celery, orange, 2 red potatoes w/ salsa, tea and a cup of lemon water. Now on to the fun part.

I just have to say that I found the coolest website ever. I don't typically like to put links in the middle of my blog, but here it is: http://www.supercook.com/. This website allows you to type in the ingredients you have at home and it searches from hundreds of recipes from sites like RecipeZaar and AllCooks.

Broccoli and Mushrooms

First I punched in broccoli, mushrooms, chicken stalk and onions and SuperCook came up with "Mushroom Broccoli Medley" from http://www.allrecipes.com/. This recipe called for bacon and sauteing the onions and mushrooms in bacon fat, so I did a healthier version, and I added garlic.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet onions
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 cups broccoli florets
  • 2 cloves of garlic

First saute mushrooms, onions and garlic on low heat until caramelized. Then add the chicken stalk to the pan. Place the broccoli florets on top of the mushrooms, onions and garlic (this allows for the broccoli to steam. Salt and pepper to taste. Very delicious. For the fatty version click here.

Carrots and Oranges??

The next recipe that SuperCooks came up with for me is "California Carrots" from RecipeZarr. I followed this recipe pretty close, except I used sweet onions instead of green ones, I didn't steam the carrots I boiled them, and I sauteed the carrots, onions and oranges until the onions were soft. Oh and I used whole chopped carrots instead of baby ones.


  • 1 lb baby carrot
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
  • 1 orange sectioned,chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
  • Salt and peeper to taste.
  • Cook the carrots, drain the water, throw in the onion, orange and orange zest and saute until the onions are cook through. Very good. For the original recipe click here.

    A few of the reviewers didn't like the combination of the carrots and oranges. But I thought the dish was really fresh and the two flavors complemented each other well. This dish would be amazing with some teriyaki sauce or some sweet sesame sauce of sorts.


    Fried Squash

    For my main dish I chopped up a whole small summer squash and fried it (with cooking spray, I sauteed with the spray too. It's organic spray). I fried the squash until the slices turned golden brown. Mmm. I just die for summer squash fried with a coating of milk and flour. YUMO!


    There you have it folks. A detox dinner! Not too bad eh? I ended up eating all the carrots, but I saved some of the broccoli for tomorrow. :)


    I NEED YOUR HELP

    Okay, I decided that taking photos of my food and blogging about my meals is really helping me stay focused. I mean, I did so well on this last little trip to Seattle. I actually left food on my plate for most of my meals! That never happens with me. Anyway, I am not doing so hot in the exercise department.

    From now on it, or at least until I get going on it and have a good schedule, I am going to take some sort of photo that documents my workout. Here is where I need your help: if I don't do it for several days in a row, tell me about it! Keep me accountable. Leave me a comment that says, "Uh hello, what are you doing right now? SITTING ON THE COUCH. Well get off it and get moving!" Seriously, help me stay motivated. Please.




    Now of course I would not have typed all of that had I not already exercised for the day. LOL. Today...wait a minute. I need to tell you something first. See I have been doing the couch to 5k running plan, and I love it. But I just got on their website to review it. Turns out I was doing it wrong. *shakes head in shame* I was supposed to be doing the same work out regimen three days a week for one week and then switch it up. I ended up doing the same work out regimen for three weeks! I feel really silly. :(

    Anyway, so I officially started "Week 2" of Couch to 5K today. It consisted of a 5 minute warm up, and then 20 minutes of alternating running for 90 sec. and walking for 2 min. For the last three weeks I have been doing the warm up and then walking for 90 sec. and running for 60. Oops. Oh well, perhaps that was God's way of getting me in shape to get in shape. ;)

    Sweet Spinach Smoothie

    After my workout I was totally ready for desert. This recipe is completely my own. A Sweet Spinach Smoothie. Surprisingly very good. It hit the spot.



    • 1 Nectarine
    • 1/2 cup strawberries (mine were frozen)
    • 1/2 cup Spinach
    • 1/2 cup 100% apple juice

    First pit the nectarine and place it and the spinach in the food processor with half of the apple juice. Next process the strawberries and add the rest of the apple juice. Add more apple juice if needed.

    If you've never had spinach in a fruit smoothie before, I recommend it. The spinach kind of takes on the flavors of the other ingredients.

    Great day everybody. Hope you had one too!


    2 comments:

    1. Hey Girl! :) I have a Detox book if you want to borrow it sometime :) It has different detox diet regimens in it :)

      Your detox food looks wonderful! :) Im not detoxing but realized since day one of my marathon training which started yesterday (memorial day) Ive been eating a ton of veggies and fruit lol. Running a marathon is really motivating me to eat extra healthy and I want to continue afterwards. Ive said this before but I am sooo tired of packaged preservative crap! Arent you??? I feel so much better when I just eat wholesome foods and fill myself up on fruit and veggies as well has intaking healthy fats.

      How is your gallbladder and overall health since day 2 of detox?

      Keep it up! :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Your detox food looks yummy! :) Im not detoxing but realized that yesterday (day one of marathon training) and today Ive been eating a ton of fruits and veggies!!! Im trying to eat more fruit and veggies and combine it with healthy carbs, lean meats, healthy dairy and fats. Since finally giving my "bad habit" to Jesus Im reminded of how much I love eating wholesome healthy food. I am sick and tired of packaged preservative crap. Id much rather make things homemade and fresh. Dont you agree? Im so disgusted in my past behaviors that Im so motivated to eat as healthy as possible to the best of my ability. The thought of a cookie or cinnamon toast cereal just sounds gross right now lol.
      We can do this! :)

      ReplyDelete