Monday, November 16, 2009

I'm a meal stalker!

It's a sickness I tell you. A disease. You see it happened over night: this unnerving desire to take over someone else's meal plan. I couldn't control it. I couldn't help myself. It was like an out of body experience. One minute I was eating a slice of pizza. The next, I was searching over two weeks worth of what Kath Eats!

I'm ashamed. But if feels so right, why is it so wrong?

Seriously though, all this weekend I kind of felt at a loss with my eating and exercising habits. I figured Kath lost weight, she's super healthy AND she's studying to be a nutritionist. She must know what she's doing. So, laying on my counter is a print out of all the meals she's eaten in the last two weeks -- somewhat adapted to fit foods available in my local grocery store. And after a grocery store date with my husband, my fridge and cabinets are stocked full of healthy Kath worthy foods.

Tomorrow is day one of my WWKE diet: What Would Kath Eat. The day's meals look like this:

Breakfast: pumpkin oats w/ craisins, walnuts, flax and almond butter

Lunch: Yogurt w/ fruit and granola and a romaine salad w/ a homemade vinaigrette dressing

Dinner: Qusadilla w/ chicken, beans, salsa, spinach (my addition) and tomatoes and a small salad.

We'll see how it goes.

Recipe Review and New Creation

Check this recipe for homemade poptarts from Genesis of a Cook.

I've made these beauties one time before with my beautiful best friends, Michelle and Brittany. We didn't quite follow the directions though. Both times I made these, I made them without shortening or butter. Basically, I followed the directions with the amount of flour and slowly added applesauce (starting with a 1/2 cup) until the dough became pie-dough like.

It worked too, despite the fears of Michelle. Now, without fat they are a little chewy and are best heated up in the microwave rather than the toaster. They don't taste anything like real pop-tarts, but they're an amazing alternative to those of us attempting to be healthy.

I made a batch of about eight of these yummy treats and had some dough left over, but ran out of jam.

So I came up with dinner...I shall call it a Mexican Turn-Over!


I stuffed this bad boy with black beans, left over enchilada sauce, vegetarian cheese, and vegan sour cream (don't even ask why I had those in the house).

It turned out softer than the pop-tart, rich and so incredibly filling!

I think if you want a good no-fat pie crust, follow the recipe for the pop-tarts, but exclude the fat and just add applesauce. It won't be perfect, but it will be pretty darn good none-the-less.

I'm not making promises but...

I really miss blogging. I think I've been hiding in a cave these last few months and denying the fact that I am a terrible eater and I am incredibly lazy. I am going to try blogging daily again. It keeps me honest.

But, even if I don't do it every day, I'll still do it once a week. On the up side, I have three amazing giveaways coming up soon. One will be the week of Nov. 30 and then one for December and one for January! So look forward to those. :)

Well, many blessings everyone. I hope to see you here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment