Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Prosciutto Wrapped Italian Turkey Patties: Because sometimes I do things

Sometimes I do things. And sometimes I get ideas.

This idea came to me at work, because sometimes I think of things other than what I am doing (or supposed to be). I usually think about food. Of course it doesn't help that an avid foodie (hi Alli) sits in the cubicle across from me. This new recipe is a combination of stuff in my fridge and a "Big Bite" from Guy's Fieri's show on the Food Network.

Prosciutto Wrapped Italian Turkey Patties

(Please excuse the name...I got nothin.)

The ingredients:
  • 1 pound of low fat ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 cup spinach
  • Prosciutto (enough to wrap each patty)
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 Eggland's Best Egg
I was originally going to use the above ingredients to make turkey burgers and stuff pitas with the burgers. But I went to World Market and found precooked polenta, and I thought that might be an interesting alternative.
I also purchased the prosciutto at World Market.

To make the patty mix the turkey burger, chopped spinach, chopped sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder together.

Oh and don't forget an egg! Smoosh it all together until well blended.
Form small patty's together in the palms of your hands (I used a clean coffee scoop to measure the patties). Then, slice your prosciutto lengthwise in half and wrap around each patty. I actually didn't make all the patties with prosciutto, as I wasn't sure how they would turn out. I recommend with the prosciutto.
I got the idea to wrap the turkey with the prosciutto from an episode of "Guy's Big Bite" where he ate dove wrapped in bacon. The bacon helps to prevent the bird from drying out. I figured, turkey is usually dry, maybe this will help...It did.
Fry the patties until cooked through. Cover the patties to keep warm, while you fry the polenta. I have never eaten polenta, nor cooked it. The package said that 2 1/2 slices of polenta was one serving and that you could basically heat it up however you wanted to.
For a sauce I just used some Hunts stewed tomatoes, garlic and basil. I honestly felt like the tomato chunks were too much. A pured sauce would have been better.
Serve with the polenta on the bottom, tomato sauce and the patty on top. Garnish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some sliced spinach (basil would have been fabulous!).
There you have it folks, another new recipe...by me!
Oh and by the way, Maddie wanted to say hi, and she wanted me to tell you she loves her baby. :)
*Loves and Hugs*
--Shawnee

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Great flavor combo and so pretty!

    To answer your question about the poached eggs on my blog, no, I don't use any gadgets. The egg whites come together in the water by themselves. I believe the vinegar in the water actually helps them come together.

    Hi Maddie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh great idea! those sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very yummy1 feeling to eat it now, i want to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what wonderful looks of Wrapped Italian Turkey Patties!I will sure try this recipe at home.I am a big food lover and like always to try on some different recipe.Thanks for sharing this recipe here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea: A poached egg is now on my list of to-dos.

    Thanks everyone for the encouragements. I am very flattered that someone actually wants to try my recipe! *blushes*

    If I were to do it again, I would put in a little less sun dried tomatoes, and grated parmesean rather than shredded. Let me know if you make them and they turn out!

    ReplyDelete